Since it’s Valentine’s Day, I think it’s a good day to post a red quilt and name it Valentina!
I can’t take credit for these blocks. They were gifted to me from someone whose mother made them probably in the 60s or 70s. She has since passed, and I was happy to accept them and make them into a quilt.
I love the blocks, but they had no seam allowance and sewing them together would cut off the points. I posted about the blocks and the seam allowance issue on Instagram and a follower suggested using red sashing to help hide the red points being cut off. I loved that idea so that’s what I did.
In addition to the blocks having no seam allowance, they also weren’t even close to being square. I didn’t want to trim them and cause more issues. So, just like people, sometimes you have to accept them and love them for what they are. And that’s what I did. I embraced the wonkiness.
If you look closely, you will see that one of the red fabrics has a little yellow floral print. I thought I would pull from that and add the yellow squares to the sashing for a little something extra.
I love this quilt and the best part is how fast it came together. Amazing how that happens when you don’t actually make the blocks yourself lol. Stay tuned for the finished version.