I’ve reached the point in the year where my quilt photos aren’t keeping up with the season we’re in, and its noticeable. I took this quilt top with me to photograph while I was visiting family in North Dakota over Labor Day weekend – back when the weather was warmer and everything was still mostly green. But now that some parts of the country are starting to get snow, I thought I should actually blog about this quilt before the pictures are really outdated, so here it is.
This fabric in this quilt is Ludlow by Denyse Schmidt and the pattern is inspired by a vintage quilt I saw.
I’ve written often about how terrible I am when it comes to doing quilt math and making sure I have the correct amount of fabric for my quilts. I tend to take a ‘let’s just start and see what happens’ approach, which more often than not works fine. This time, however, IT DID NOT WORK. I don’t know what I was thinking. I was way short on fabric and had to make some adjustments. My solution was sashing.
I’m normally not a sashing kind of person. On rare occasion I use it, but I think it can make quilts look a little too traditional for my personal taste. Had I not used sashing in this quilt I could have made it to be crib sized, but I wanted something a little bigger.
After I got the whole thing pieced together, I decided I made the sashing too wide. I almost ripped it apart right then and there and cut the sashing width in half, but like most things in life it’s not a bad idea to sleep on it.
Full disclosure I ended up sleeping on it for months because I moved on to another project, and by the time I pulled it back out to photograph I decided I didn’t hate the sashing width as much as I originally did. I think I’m going to keep it as is but I could be convinced otherwise.
I’m off to do an Instagram poll to get some feedback on the sashing. Feel free to weigh in there!